New York City Consumer Affairs Contractor’s Restitution Trust Fund

Home owners in New York City that obtain judgments against licensed home improvement contractors and are not able to collect may not be totally without recourse.  Once a judgment is obtained against a licensed New York City Home Improvement Contractor, and the home owner is not paid on the judgment, the home owner may usually be able to apply for restitution from the Consumer Affairs Trust Fund.  While the statute creating and authorizing the fund allows for payment of up to $20,000, the Fund has more recently been awarding up to $17,000.  $17,000 may not be much but if the judgment is not enforceable because the contractor is out of business and has no assets, it provides some relief for aggrieved home owners against licensed contractors.

Comments are closed.